Posted on

Home Depot job buckets lids

I ran into an interesting situation regarding those job buckets at Home Depot. I have been re-engineering the way I do dust separation/collection from my equipment.

I want the vacuum motor directly coupled to the orange bucket instead of how the first picture  demonstrates.  Previously, the shop vac attached to one port and the tool attached to another. The inefficiencies arose quickly because of the additional hose needed to connect them together.  If I stack the shop vac on top of the separator and dust bin, I increase the suction and get more efficient particulate collection (see second picture).

 

The last two pictures depict the old and new lids, respectively. The grooved, old lid nestles the bucket bottom into an airtight connection whereas the new lid does not. For my application the new lid is nearly worthless!

Posted on

Maple quarters from rounds

I got my hands on some maple this weekend! The maple tree was likely three or four feet in diameter, cut into about 12”-18” rounds and then quartered.  I spray painted the end grain and then made boards 1¼” thick.

Note: Spray paint is probably not the best sealant to use; it might even be the worst! This was Rust-Oleum brand, so I might have lucked out since it is oil based. The next best option might be garage floor sealer. What are your thoughts?

 

 

#hallcastlepuzzles #woodworking #puzzles #brainteaser

 

Posted on

Finished puzzles in elm and standing cedar

This weekend I had the opportunity to create two puzzles with wood I haven’t used yet. The elm was quite challenging as stress was released as I cut the wood. The grain pattern tends to pinch the blade when making sticks or it wants to veer off away from the blade. I overcame this tendency by cutting shorter sticks. The standing cedar was even more stress ridden. I’ve had it drying in 1 1/4″ boards about 4 inches wide and about 1′ long for a year.  When I first planed them they immediately bowed. Thankfully, the small pieces that I ended up using did not exhibit any twisting or bowing; a good portent for the fruit woods!

 

Notice the stark difference between sanded and finished puzzles. I always find it very rewarding to see!


Posted on

Final figured (in the last year) how to make the cuts needed to make the puzzles…

Final figured (in the last year) how to make the cuts needed to make the puzzles I am now selling on my website. Check them out at http://www.HallCastle.com

Tim

Reshared post from +Hall Castle (HallCastlePuzzles)

This weekend I spent some time gluing some walnut puzzle pieces, alder bases, and poplar bases (new wood choice). Next up, sanding the bases. This 5” random orbital sander has made my life so much easier when it comes to sanding! I’ve found that the 220 grit offers the most flexibility. The 220 grit is all I need for coarse and fine work. Once the incessant sanding was done, I wiped all the sawdust off and applied Danish Oil Finish.

I also created an enclosed alder base that I think makes the puzzle even more challenging. You have to place the pieces in order since they can’t be slid in from the side like with the open base.

#woodworking
#brainteaser
#puzzle

Posted on

Replenished some puzzle stock and a new base!

This weekend I spent some time gluing some walnut puzzle pieces, alder bases, and poplar bases (new wood choice). Next up, sanding the bases. This Makita 5” random orbital sander has made my life so much easier when it comes to sanding!  I’ve found that the Diablo 50-piece pack with a 220 grit offers the most flexibility.  The 220 grit is all I need for coarse and fine work.  Once the incessant sanding was done, I wiped all the sawdust off and applied Rust-Oleum Danish Oil Finish.


I also created an enclosed alder base that I think makes the puzzle even more challenging. You have to place the pieces in order since they can’t be slid in from the side like with the open base.


Posted on

Processing new wood

I spent the weekend processing some standing cedar and elm wood. I thickness planed it down to the 3/4″ that I need for making sticks. I then made the sticks. What is fascinating to me is how bad these woods are to work with! Elm has a peculiar smell to it and has a very curvy grain pattern, so it is very difficult to know ahead of time whether the bevel cut I do is going to pinch or spread as I cut it. The standing cedar likewise has internal stress and I found that if the stick I process should be about 8″ in length or less, it binds too much and might kick back in a very unsafe manner.

 

 

Initial bevel cut made
Cedar board about to be bevel cut

Elm and cedar sticks made

Posted on

Rhoma Variant with custom base. Matt Cremona logo

Here is a couple shots of the puzzle I made for Matt Cremona. The pieces are walnut with an alder base. The base I made is unique in that I turned the puzzle base into a packing style puzzle. I think this makes it even more aggravating to solve! Check his work out at YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/mcremona and his website: mattcremona.com

Matt’s Weekly shop update.

FB Post

Assembled
Disassembled